My mother’s pantry always had Jiffy mix inside…cornbread muffins, blueberry muffins, apple cinnamon muffins… It was a staple…And on Thanksgiving my mother cleared the shelves down at the Bi-Lo of all their Jiffy cornbread mix to make her ma-ma’s cornbread dressing…Of course, the ease of the directions meant as a kid I got to accomplish baking Jiffy muffins of all types frequently. My mother always said the muffins tasted so much better when I made them…and even though I’m pretty sure you can’t mess up a Jiffy recipe – I ate up the praise and believed I had a special talent for Jiffy muffin baking…I certainly had a talent for eating half a tin of muffins slathered in butter…And even though now I’m a vegan my tastes haven’t changed much…I still need that sweet cornbread that I grew up eating…so I was disappointed to learn that the Jiffy mix of my childhood contains animal shortening –
INGREDIENTS: WHEAT FLOUR, DEGERMINATED YELLOW CORN MEAL, SUGAR, ANIMAL SHORTENING (CONTAINS ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: LARD, HYDROGENATED LARD, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED LARD), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SALT, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID.
What’s a vegan girl to do? She hits the internet and starts looking for other Southern vegans with recipes for sweet cornbread like momma used to make straight out of the box with the Jiffy label! I tried a few recipes before finding Savvy Brown’s Vegan Cornbread! The recipe is easy and really is the closest thing to a Jiffy corn muffin but no animals were harmed! It’s great with chili and even makes a great cornbread dressing (for another post)!
Sweet Vegan Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (I like the real stone ground stuff, not Quakers)
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1.5tsp Ener-G egg replacer plus 2 tbsp of warm water*
- 1 cup soy milk or almond milk (I use rice milk and the recipe worked fine.)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray or grease a 9 inch round cake pan or cast iron skillet (I like using my mom’s old skillet for this!)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Ina small bowl pour warm water into egg replacer and stir until well blended and thick (like batter)
- Stir egg substitute mixture, milk and vegetable oil into dry ingredients until well combined.(Don’t over mix! The batter will be a little lumpy) Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.